Wildman Outdoors
August 04, 2021, 07:34:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Wildman Outdoors

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 Bow Season  (Read 5886 times)
mwildman42
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: October 15, 2011, 12:56:16 pm »

Finally had an opportunity to get out in the stand this year.  Two weeks prior to opening of bow season, I went to hang a couple of stands and discovered the land I had been hunting for the past 20 years had been sold.  So, I had to find some new land to hunt.  Last week, I found a spot close to home in Northeast Linn County, IA.  I met the landowner on Thursday night and got a tour of the property, which borders some state land.  It looked pretty good.  I headed out this morning, not really knowing where to go or where the deer would be.  I wondered around for about an hour and a half in the dark before I found a good spot for the climber.  About 30 minutes into the hunt, I caught movement of a deer headed my way.  I was surprised to see a buck headed my direction.  When he got in the open at about 40 yards, I saw it was a 10-pointer about 130 class.  There were two other bucks following him, a six and an 8.  The ten crossed a fence and turned broadside at 25 yards, but I had decided I wasn't ready to take him this early in the season.  I soon began to regret that choice.  As he fed on seeds from a downed willow, I noticed how tall he was and his main beams circled around to about 4-5 inches from touching.  He did not present another shot opportunity, but I was able to study him for about 20 minutes.  He was a nice buck!  While I was watching him, I heard antlers clanging together.  The other two smaller bucks were sparring about 50 yards away.  They soon ended their minor battle and all 3 bucks wondered off into the woods.  I had a button buck and a doe come by and feed on the same downed willow about a half hour later.  Not bad for the first hunt on a new property.  I am going to hunt by Tama tomorrow and maybe try to take the boys back to this spot on Sunday night and Monday.

Wildman Custom Rods
We specialize in affordable custom rods.
www.wildmancustomrods.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: